Sunday, July 19, 2009

4 Sculptors









Eva Hesse was born January 11, 1936 in Hamburg. She Studied at Cooper Union in New York from 1954 to 1957. She is currently Deceased. She died in May of 1970. She was known for experimenting in latex, plastics, and fiberglass. I like these two works because the both have a kind of Graffiti aspect to them. The one looks a lot like the flair associated with Wildstyle Font and the the other looks like a bunch of repeated wall bombings (Bombing - The act of tagging the same thing repeatedly on a wall or target.) However, due to recent events I am not allowed to give my critical opinion.

Louise Bourgeoise is a French born artist from the 1930's. His art was mainly done with metals and patina's however they were mostly of large scale. I like the spider just for no real reason. I just do, it intrigues me. The the Blobby bronze ______________ (I am not permitted to say at risk that people might think of me as objectifying a certain gender) However, regardless of what ot looks like the process of what it looks like, the process in which it was created is really alot of fun to think about.

David Smith, born in 1906, he was a Sculptor that dealt mainly Metals. At one point in his life he moved here to Ohio. Also another May death, he died in 1965 in an automobile crash. The two piece of his I find mildly interesting is the one that looks like a portal of some sort. It look like it was an early form or an art piece that inspired Stargate. The other I like because it looks like a cross piece. It looks like African art with mixture of silverware. (Due to recent events I must put a disclaimer that I am in no way attacking the African population, it is just a similarity between art styles.)

Tony Smith born in 1912, died in 1980, was a sculptor that dealt with Geometric shapes. His Sculptures or at least their influence can be seen in a lot of futuristic movies and abstract art. The Cubic piece is that looks like a shelter is very simple, but just due to its size it is really impressive. The Other that is all spread out in the gallery is also very open and although it doesn't look it, the piece is very structurally sound. Which is its appeal to me.

Why I chose these artists, Well to be honest, I don't have time to research the whole list, so for time constraints I chose the top four on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment